Benefits of Membership
NOTE: This webpage is intended for members of NFFE 1998 and bargaining unit employees of Passport Services that are interested in joining and it contains internal Union business only which must be read on personal/non-work time (such as breaks, lunch, and before/after work)
To become a dues-paying member of NFFE Local 1998, you can apply online here or you can fill out an SF-1187 and submit it via mail. As of January 2021, the dues are $30.94 per biweekly pay period. If you have any difficulty submitting the online form, or if the dues deductions do not start within two pay periods, contact the Secretary Treasurer.
Filling Out the Online Application
• Fill in your first and last name
• Fill in your normal mailing address
• For the Agency box, input: “Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs, Passport Services,” and then your specific agency designation, e.g., CA/PPT/SE
• Choose the state where your office is physically located
• Fill in the last 4 digits of your Social Security number
• Provide an email address (you may need to adjust your spam settings so that any emails from NFFE will be received in your inbox)
• Click the box that begins, “I understand and accept…”
• Click on the Submit button
After you fill in the boxes and select “submit,” the online application will generate a Standard Form 1187 – Request for Payroll Deductions for Labor Organization Dues, which will sent electronically to the National Federation of Federal Employees for processing.